This is one of very few recipes that is a hit with my entire family.
Just remember, I am a “throw together” cook, so some of the measurements may not be quite exact…so feel free to add more or less.
I also add thing like sweet chilli sauce (if my kids aren’t eating), barbeque sauce, and whatever herbs are on hand.
Get creative with this recipe!
500g mince (I use beef)
1 large handful of diced bacon
1/4 onion, chopped
1 cup veggies (I use peas, corn and carrot)
1T minced garlic
5 large potatoes, cooked (I prefer to steam mine)
butter and milk for mashing
2 handfuls of grated cheese
1) Brown mince, onion and bacon until thoroughly cooked.
2) Add vegetables, simmer for about a minute (longer if vegetables are fozen)
3) Add enough gravy to cover mixture. We like lots of gravy, which makes it quite runny, but can be thickened with extra gravy powder. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
4.) Pour meat mixture into a large casserole dish
5) Mash potatoes with butter and milk. Add one large handful of cheese to potato mixture and mix well.
6) Spread potato topping evenly over the meat mixture. Sprinkle remainder of grated cheese on top. Season with paprika as desired.
7.) Bake in oven until cheese turns golden.